Discover Sri Lanka, touring from the capital, Colombo, through the lush highlands, descending through rainforests to the coast. Along the way, you’ll enjoy some of South Asia’s best cycling, nature-packed hikes and safaris through national parks, luxurious hotels, and of course the delicious cuisine, rich history and culture of Sri Lanka’s welcoming people.
Day 01 Arrive Colombo
You will be met at airport by our representative and taken to the hotel. (approximately a 60-minute drive).
There will then be time to check over the bikes, with our crew member on standby to assist with any mechanical issues.
Depending on your arrival time, there may be time to explore the streets, sights and shops of Colombo or to relax after your journey, before joining your guides for an early evening welcome meal, where they will explain more about the coming days tour and activities.
Day 02 Train to Kandy & Cycle
Riding: 15km cycling
We start today with an early pickup from your Colombo Hotel before we drive to a small village station to board the train that takes us up into the hills towards Kandy. The scenic journey takes 3-4 hours before we arrive around lunchtime, to meet our support team and our bikes. To warm up our legs, we’ll cycle from the train station into the center of town, pedaling down small roads to escape the traffic. Our ride takes us along a river and its local villages. In the evening, there is time to visit the Temple of the Tooth, where the sacred Buddha tooth relic is placed with supporting stories illustrated in a prayer hall. Tonight we’ll enjoy our first dinner together in Kandy.
Day 03 Cycle to Gampola, Train ride to Nuwara Eliya
Riding: 45km cycling
Today we pedal back roads and find ourselves climbing soon after leaving Kandy. As we go, the population thins out and the tea creeps in. As we weave our way through tea plantations, keep an eye open for roadside shops selling delicacies such as fresh dates and dried corn crackers. We then enjoy some descents today and a wide variety of road surfaces, always with minimal traffic.
We finish our ride down at the Gampola railway station where we board the train for the higher elevations. The train ride is stunning, and the carriage is quite comfortable. We alight at Nana Oya and then travel by car the short distance to Nuwara Eliya. You will need your warm clothes up here, but the hotel does have an open fireplace and a great meal for dinner.
Day 04 Walk to Worlds End, Cycle to Ella
Riding: 45km cycling
A very early start is needed today for the transfer by vehicle up to Horton Plains National Park, and we’ll enjoy some light snacks to get us started. From there, we will walk through the grassy highlands to World’s End Lookout where we take in the astonishing views over the valley from the clifftop. Keep your eyes peeled while you walk, as we may be lucky enough to glimpse deer and monkeys.
Here we’ll enjoy a picnic breakfast in this serene spot before hitting the bikes for a thrilling downhill ride through a fertile valley where farmers will be hard at work. We will pedal through the bustling town of Bandarawela, stopping briefly for lunch before settling in Ella, a small town that caters well to the weary traveler. The afternoon is free for exploration of the estate.
Day 05 Walk To Little Adams Peak, Cooking Class
Enjoy the sunrise over dewy tea plantations, taking in the postcard views of Ella from arguably the most picturesque location in town. Today we stay off the bikes to pursue alternative active adventures. We’ll start off with a tea tour at our luxurious hotel set in the hills on 98 acres of tea plantation. Here you’ll have the chance to experience the tea production process from start to finish, with a walk through the plantation alongside a tea plucker, a visit to the factory to glimpse the tea withering process, and finish off the tour with a tasting session to sip on Pure Ceylon Tea.
In the afternoon, we’ll be welcomed by a small white statue of the Buddha as we begin hiking the trail to Little Adam’s Peak, an easy going climb. This spot is the younger, smaller brother of Adam’s Peak further out of town, but will still provide us with spectacular sunset views of the far hills and tea plantations below. This evening we’ll enjoy a cooking class and whip up some Sri Lankan curry.
Day 06 Cycle to Kataragama & Yala Safari
Riding: 60km cycling
We start off today with a few more climbs through stunning tea country and small villages. Catch some amazing views this morning from your bike over the impressive shapes of the various peaks. After morning tea, we glide on two wheels into our huge descent back to the flatlands. Only those averse to downhill riding will be without an ear to ear grin as the kilometers tick by a lot quicker than they have for the previous few days.
As we reach flat roads, the heat increases, so we have lunch and then take a 40-minute vehicle transfer to the hotel in Kataragama. A quick turnaround is in order and we then board a jeep that will take us through the nearby Yala National Park in the hopes of seeing elephants, leopards and almost certainly deer, wild boar, buffalo, monkeys, and peafowl. This is an enthralling way to round out the day and we can expect to be back at the hotel a little before 7 in time for dinner.
Day 07 Cycle & Transfer to Sinharaja Rainforest
Riding: 55km cycling
An early start helps us make the most of the cool morning temperatures. As things start to warm up a little, we will stop to eat our takeaway breakfast from the hotel. The ride is on flat, open road today which is a welcome rest after the recent terrain. We get into slightly narrower roads after breakfast as we pass through an unpaved section, then follow a nicely paved, quiet back road along a canal.
After passing through more populated areas in the late morning, we finish the ride with lunch in a small town named Embilipitiya and then take a transfer of around 2 hours to reach our accommodation at the beautiful Sinharaja Rainforest. Here you’ll enjoy the hum of the rainforest and the sounds of wildlife there. Keep your eyes peeled for some interesting, colorful birds flitting around!
Day 08 Hike Sinharaja Rainforest
Today we swap the bikes for our hiking shoes as we explore the stunning Sinharaja Rainforest Reserve on foot. Our expert guides and their wealth of wildlife knowledge will put us in good stead to explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site and see some of the unique wildlife in the area. We will transfer in the van (depending on the season) to ensure we are in the best spot to start and end the hike. We expect to be out for about 4 hours, with a few special stops along the way for some snacks to keep the energy levels up. We’ll head back to the hotel around mid-afternoon so we can enjoy the quaint charm of our unique accommodation.
Day 09 Ride & Transfer to Galle, Old Fort Walking Tour
Riding: 50km cycling
Today’s ride is one to remember as we pedal 50 kilometers down from the rainforest towards the coast and the old port city of Galle. The ride starts with a brilliant, 25km descent with only short sections of plateau or incline. What starts out as a patchy, tea estate road then becomes a smooth, well-made road without too much traffic and with just the right degree of twists and turns to keep it interesting.
Once we’ve made it down to the coast, we’ll take a transfer to the perfect beach spot for devouring lunch before transferring the rest of the way to Galle. Later we’ll take a walking tour of the Galle Fort: a 16th-century Portuguese structure set on the Bay of Galle which sits staunchly defending the city.
Day 10 Galle Countryside Loop Ride, Tour Conludes
Riding: 15km cycling
Our final ride of the tour is a relaxed affair, exploring the surrounds of historic Galle. We’ll begin and end at the door of your hotel making the most of our last time on the bikes and returning with time to freshen up and say our goodbyes before check-out and conclusion of the tour.
From here we will include a group transfer back to Colombo or you stay on in Sri Lanka’s southern coast. Our team is happy to help you with your onward travel plans.
Day 11 Depart Colombo
Departure transfer to Colombo airport.
|City||Night (s)||Hotels / Camps|
|Colombo||01||Taj Samudra Hotel|
|Kandy||01||Earls Regency Hotel|
|Nuwara Eliya||01||The Grand Hotel|
|Ella||02||Hotel On Rock|
|Sinharaja RF||02||The Fortress Srilanka|
|Galle||01||Le Grand Galle|
|Colombo||01||Taj Samudra Hotel|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 10 Nights hotel accommodation.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Supply of refreshments Water, Juice, Cold Drinks, Sweets, Candies, Fresh Fruits, Muffins during the bike ride.
– All other services required during the BIKE RIDE.
– Farewell Gala Dinner.
– Accompanying English-speaking guide, assistant staff, marking staff.
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.