Start and end in Kota Kinabalu, the trip Borneo – East Sabah Adventure is a guided countryside and village visits tour that takes 8 days. You will travel through Kota Kinabalu, Sungai Kinabatangan and Sepilok in Malaysia.
Between its intriguing wildlife, skyscraper-height jungle canopies, and gorgeous coastlines teeming with tropical fish, this magical stretch of Borneo is positively bursting with stuff to see and do. This eight-day adventure promises to keep you busy; time spent marvelling at nature’s glory on Libaran Island, close encounters with orangutans at a rehabilitation centre, prowling the streets of Kota Kinabalu by night, and otherworldly wonders in the jungle.
Day 01: Kota Kinabalu
Arrive at any time. Meet assist airport & tranasfer to hotel.
Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Kota Kinabalu/Kundasang
Travel to the luscious and welcoming Mesilou Village tucked in the mountainous highlands. Stop at a local family-run farm to enjoy the views of Mt Kinabalu and see the different types of cold-climate vegetables and fruits. Afterward, meet the villagers and get to know each other over a traditional lunch. In the afternoon, visit two local farms before learning to cook custom recipes with the community. In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner followed by a traditional Sabahan dance performance.
Local Farms and Cooking Class
Visit two unique farms of Mesilou Village and learn of their contrasting techniques while picking fresh vegetables, later used when learning to cook local recipes with the villagers. First visit Kundasang Aquafarm, a community-led farm that uses fish waste instead of chemical fertilizer for a hydroponic system. Then you are off to Onis farm that practices more traditional farming.
Mesilou Village Stay
Immerse yourself in the culture of Mesilou Atamis Village and settle into their guesthouse, a Planeterra Foundation kampong stay project. Visit the “Farm Village” to learn about locally-owned organic orchards. After lunch, take a short hike to the nearby Mesilou Hill, exploring the landscape surrounding the village. Continue on to visit the aqua farm and Onis farm. Enjoy picking veggies for your cooking activity. This evening enjoy a traditional dinner followed by a cultural performance where you’ll be invited to join in the fun.
Day 03: Kundasang/Sungai Kinabatangan
Travel towards Sandakan and continue to the immersive jungle lodge on Kinabatangan River, Sabah’s longest. After settling in, head out on a river cruise to experience the serenity of evening river life (keep your eyes peeled for birds and monkeys and crocodiles, oh my!). Enjoy dinner then opt for a guided night walk through the jungle.
Kinabatangan River Evening Cruise
Duration : – 2.0 hr
Cruise through the crocodile-infested waters with an expert boatman. While wildlife-spotting can’t be guaranteed there’s a good chance you will spot some monkeys, birds and the occasional saltwater crocodiles.
Day 04: Sungai Kinabatangan
Begin the day with a river safari to witness the morning wildlife activity. After breakfast, visit the nearby oxbow lake with a professional guide and seek out proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, macaques, and gibbons. Enjoy another river cruise for a second chance to spot more wildlife (you never know what you may see) before returning to the lodge for dinner.
Kinabatangan River Wildlife Cruise
Jump into a boat and explore the muddy river; keep your eyes peeled for monkeys, birds, and crocodiles.
Guided Oxbow Lake Walk and Wildlife Spotting
Enjoy a guided trek along the lake and seek out proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, macaques, and gibbons.
Day 05: Sungai Kinabatangan/Sepilok
Depart in the morning and travel to Sepilok – a wildlife haven. Enjoy a visit to the orangutan rehabilitation centre and the adjacent sun bear conservation centre.
Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre Visit
The orangutans at the centre were either rescued as orphans or from illegal domestication. Once rehabilitated, they are set free to live in the wild. Watch these creatures being fed or roaming the grounds along with other animals such as macaque monkeys.
Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre Visit
Visit the conservation centre and see the world’s smallest bear. Learn more about the sun bears and the conservation efforts being made to protect them.
Day 06: Sepilok/Pulau Libaran
Transfer to Sandakan and continue by boat to Libaran Island, also known as Turtle Island because thousands of sea turtles return to nest each year. Take a guided tour of the island’s turtle hatchery and learn about the turtle conservation program. Later, visit the local village and experience what life is like on the island. Opt to go snorkelling or kayaking with some free time.
Accompany Island rangers to learn more about these amazing creatures and the threats to their existence. Depending on the time of year, observe turtles laying their eggs on the beach, follow the park rangers as they transfer the eggs to the hatchery, or stand on the shore and witness the release of baby turtles to the open sea.
Libaran Island Village Walk
Duration : – 2.0 hr
Visit the friendly village of Libaran Island, part of a Planeterra Foundation community development project. View demonstrations by villagers who make flower souvenirs from plastic bottles, master Pandanous weaving, and meticulously knit fishing nets. Also see how local snacks are prepared and enjoy the delicacies.
Day 07: Pulau Libaran/Kota Kinabalu
After breakfast, depart Libaran Island and travel back to the Sandakan jetty. From the jetty, transfer to Sandakan airport for a flight to Kota Kinabalu. On arrival, enjoy a free afternoon to walk and shop at Jesselton Point, a waterfront district lined with shops and street food. Opt to visit the famous Filipino market or get a panoramic sunset view of Kota Kinabalu at the Signal Hill observatory.
Day 8: Kota Kinabalu
Depart at any time. Transfer to airport for flight back to home.
|Kota Kinabalu||01||Hotel Shangri-La|
|Kundasang||01||Spring Garden Kundasang|
|Kinabatangan||02||Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort|
|Sepilok||01||Sepilok Jungle Resort|
|Pulau Libaran||01||Walai Penyu Resort|
|Kota Kinabalu||01||Hotel Shangri-La|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 07 nights accommodation as per program
– English speaking guide
– Meals: Breakfasts & Dinners
– Your G for Good Moment: Mesilou Village Stay, Mesilou Village
– Your G for Good Moment: Libaran Island Village Walk, Pulau Libaran
– Your Welcome Moment: Meet Your CEO and Group
– Your Foodie Moment: Local Farms and Cooking Class, Mesilou Village
– Morning and evening Kinabatangan River safaris
– Guided oxbow lake visit and wildlife spotting (Kinabatangan)
– Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre visit
– Turtle hatchery visit
– Internal flight
– All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
– All present government taxes
• International Flights.
• Personal Expenses.
• Camera / Video Camera Fees.
• Medical Aid.
• Travel Insurance.
• Accommodation in good hotels.
• Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
• Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost. – Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
• A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
• If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
• Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
• In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
• In Asia, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
• While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
• Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
• In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.