Start and end in Praia! With the Private tour Cape Verde: Best Hiking & Trekking Trails in Santiago Island. With the Hiking & Trekking tour Full Full Hiking & Trekking around Santiago Island (9 destinations), you have a 6-day tour package taking you from Praia to Tarrafal through Praia, Cidade Velha (world heritage) and 7 other destinations in Santiago Island. Full Santiago Island Hiking & Trekking includes, accommodation, Expert Guid, meals, transport and more.
Day 01: Arrive Praia, Cape Verde
Arrive Praia, meet assist and transfer to hotel.
Overnight at Hotel.
Day 02: Santiago Island: Calabaceira Valley Trek & Visit to Cidade Velha
After being collected from your accommodation in Praia, depart toward the small village of Calabaceira. Start your 3-hour hike from the top of the valley, with an oasis of vast vegetation emerging in its interior. Follow a simple and accessible trail for any hiker and explore the green valley famous for both its baobab trees mentioned by Charles Darwin and its use as an escape route for slaves during slavery. Next, discover the local fauna and flora and experience the production of a local rum-making distillery (The Rum production season runs from January 1 st to May 31st). There, get in touch with local farmers and their agricultural fields of sugar cane, mango trees, cassava, banana, and more. Arrive in Cidade Velha, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and visit the São Francisco Convent, the famous Banana Street and Nossa Senhora do Rosário church. Have a break for lunch and savor local delights in a typical restaurant right on the seafront.
Later visit the former slave market, the ruins of the Sé Catedral, and the Royal Fortress of São Filipe. From the top, enjoy a beautiful view over the whole old town and find out about the system of defense used against pirates. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Praia.
Day 03: Trekking: Natural Park of Monte Tchota to Pico D’Antónia (the highest mountain on the island)
Your day begins with a scenic drive to Rui Vaz, where your trek starts. Along the trek you’ll have the opportunity to visit the local cheese factory, followed by the climb through the Natural Park of Monte Txota. Located at an altitude of 800 meters and with its own microclimate, this is one of the coolest places on the island with lots of biodiversity. Then, continue towards the Pico D’Antónia. With an elevation of 1394 meters, this is the highest point of Santiago Island. When you get close to the top you will enjoy panoramic views of the São Jorge Valley, and possibly Maio Island and Fogo Island Volcano, with the weather permitting. Your trek will take about 4 hours, with a stop for a small picnic and views of beautiful landscapes along the way. The route will end with the return to the Monte Txota Natural Park and the ride back to your hotel in Rui Vaz, Quinta da Montanha.
Day 04: Visit to Assomada + Boat trip to the Cave and BBQ on the beach
In and around Assomada
Get picked up atyour accommodation and then head towards the interior of the island. Make your first stop at Mrs. Luisa’s house. There, sample cuscuz (a traditional cake made from corn flour) and fidjós (fried banana), the typical breakfast for Cape Verdean families. After breakfast, continue to the city of Assomada. Visit its famous market and admire the vibrant colors of the local fruits and vegetables. After that head to Boa Entrada, a small agricultural-village, where locals earn their daily bread through agriculture. There, see sugar cane plantation, coconut and mango trees, and get to know the oldest and largest tree of Cape Verde, a giant Kapok with 500 years of history. Take your way to the small bay of Ribeira da Barca Village. There, enjoy a 25-minute trip on board a traditional fishing boat and take stunning photos of the crust formed by the volcanic eruption during the formation of the island.
Arrive at Pilon de Achata Leite and admire one of the island’s 7 Wonders, the spectacular rare rocks surrounded by small crabs. Next, head to Àguas Belas (which means “beautiful waters”) and if the sea isn’t too rough, go swimming and snorkeling inside its caves. Get to know the local marinee life while your staff prepares a delicious barbecue on the beach. Relax on the black-sand beach as you enjoy your meal.
Later head back to Ribeira da Barca and conclude your tour with drop-off at your hotel in Tarrafal.
Day 05: Full Trekking in Serra Malagueta Natural Park
Get picked up at your accommodation and then drive to Serra Malgueta Natural Park, where your trekking adventure awaits. Follow your guide as you head into the luscious landscapes of the Serra Malagueta Natural Park, which covers 774-hectacres. The park is home to the Serra Malagueta mountain range as well as over 124 species of plant, and 19 species of bird. Throughout the trek, listen to your guide share information about the local flora and fauna, many of which can only be found here in the park. There’s also the opportunity to see wildlife, including playful monkeys, a variety of reptiles, and colorful butterflies. Once you’ve worked up a bit of an appetite, find a scenic spot for a well-deserved rest and enjoy a picnic in the middle of the forest.
Afternoon, continue the walk to the end of the trail, then drive to Tarrafal Beach where you can spend some free time chilling on the shore. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Tarrafal.
Day 06: From Tarrafal: Visit to Rabelados Community + Praia City Tour
In and around Praia, Tarrafal
Get picked up at your accommodation and then return on the island’s east coast. Make your first stop in Espinho Branco and visit the religious community of Rabelados, the only community that still lives in thatched houses and preserves Cape Verde’s oldest customs and beliefs. There, see the local handicraft production and have the opportunity to buy handmade paintings from local artisans. Travel for approximately 45 minutes and arrive at the largest banana and coconut plantation in the country. Take a small walk inside the agricultural fields while the local guide explains the varieties of fruits and dozens of plants that exist along the route. Next, forward to the historical center of Plateau and there start the walking tour through the Jaime Mota Military Barracks, passing by the Presidential Palace and the Alexandre Albuquerque Square. In the Municipal Market (closed on Sundays), meet locals, find a diversity of local fruits and vegetables. There, find a little of everything and experience the daily life of the Cape Verdian family. Finish the tour with special touch of the local gastronomy at Casa Katxupa. Relish the real country’s nacional dish, Katxupa. The tour concludes with drop-off at your accommodation in Praia.
Day 07: Depart Santiago
Get picked up at your accommodation in Praia and depart toward Nelsom Mandela international airport. Take your international flight back and say goodbye longing for “La Morabeza Crioula”!!!
|Praia||02||Hotel VIP Praia|
|Rui Vaz||01||Quinta da Montanha|
|Tarrafal||02||Pensão DA MEX Tarrafal|
|Praia||01||Hotel VIP Praia|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 06 Nights accommodation hotel.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide.
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments as per mentioned in the program.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.