The delightful Indian Ocean archipelago of the Comoros isn’t the most obvious holiday destination. Almost a low key Zanzibar, but without the tourists, the Comoros combine the heritage of Swahili culture with dramatic scenery. The atmospheric towns and small country charm complete the picture offering a trip that showcases a different side to this part of the world.
This short tour covers the three islands that make up the republic, starting in Grande Comore. Here we wander through the old medina, discover colourful markets, visit old sultans’ palaces and see the impressive volcano of Mount Karthala. Travelling by boat to Moheli, we visit its spice gardens, and watch turtles lay eggs on the beach. In Anjouan we explore the gorgeous countryside, stopping at waterfalls and lush valleys, before finally returning to Moroni, the capital.
Day 01: Moroni
Arrive into Moroni and transfer to your hotel. The rest of the day is free. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Moroni
Spend today exploring the capital of the Comoros, an atmospheric place and steeped in Arabic heritage dating back to the 10th century. We visit the colourful market and the atmospheric medina, and explore the narrow streets of the historic quarter. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03: Grande Comore
A full day spent exploring the island of Grande Comore. We visit Mount Karthala, the highest point of the Comoros and an active volcano, and Itsoundzou for marvellous views of the seven volcanic cones of Diboini. We also visit the Lac Sale, a volcanic salt lake, and the ‘dragon rocks’ of Ivoini. Overnight at hotel.
Day 04: Grande Comore – Moheli
Explore the south of the island including the ruins of the 18th century sultan’s palace, and the nearby clifs where local women flung themselves to their deaths rather than be captured by slavers. We also visit the lava flow at the village of Singani, before travelling by boat or fight to the island of Moheli. Overnight at hotel.
Day 05: Moheli
Travel through Moheli, visiting the spice gardens and ylang ylang plantations that the Comoros are best known for. In the late afternoon we head to Itsamia where, after sunset, we can see turtles coming ashore to lay eggs. Overnight at hotel.
Day 06: Anjouan
Fly to the island of Anjouan. The rest of the day is free to relax or explore. Overnight at hotel.
Day 07: Anjouan
Spend today exploring Anjouan. We visit the ‘col of patsy’, a beautiful valley, then continue to the picturesque Tatringa falls. This afternoon visit the mausoleum of the late president Abdallah, the father of independence in the Comoros. Overnight at hotel.
Day 08: Moroni
Fly back to Moroni. Overnight at hotel.
Day 09: Moroni
Transfer to the airport for departure.
|Moroni||02||Retaj Moroni Hotel|
|Grande Comore||01||Golden Tulip Grande Comore|
|Moheli||02||Le Relais de Singani hotel|
|Anjouan||01||Hotel Al Amal|
|Moroni||01||Retaj Moroni Hotel|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 08 Nights accommodation.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Domestic flight from Anjouan to Moroni
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.