Highlights of this tour include four UNESCO sites, snow-capped mountains, inviting beaches on the Albanian Riviera, a genuine untouched subsistence culture, and exceptionally friendly people.
Some say that visiting Albania is as close as you’ll get to traveling back in time. Until the dissolution of the People’s Republic of Albania, it was rare that foreigners had a chance to visit this mystery-shrouded country. Since the borders opened in 1991, anyone visiting Albania quickly realizes that this is a very special place. Unlike Croatia, just a few hundred kilometers up the coast, Albania has remained undiscovered by mass tourism.
Day 01: Arrival in Tirana
Individual arrival to Tirana.
Overnight in Tirana.
Day 02: Ohrid Lake – Pogradec (25 miles/40km; elevation gain: 203ft/62m)
After a transfer (2 hours) we will reach the northern side of Lake Ohrid from which we will start cycling to Pogradec. We will enjoy lunch at a waterfront restaurant before arriving to Pogradec. In the afternoon, you can choose between relaxing at the beach in front of the hotel or crossing over to Macedonia by bike and to visit the monastery of St.Naum.
Overnight in Pogradec.
Day 03: Pogradec – Korcë (32 miles/51km; elevation gain: 1352ft/412m)
We’ll star the day with a climb out from the lake into another high plateau surrounded by mountains. We then continue along the gorge for awhile until the hills open up leading to a vast plain, a patchwork of individual farms and colours.
Overnight in Korce.
Day 04: Korce – Sotire (44 miles/71km; elevation gain: 3842ft/1171m)
Leave behind the agricultural plateau of Korce, climbing steadily into the border mountains through a landscape of barren rock interspersed with wild flowers. Numerous cols and valleys lie ahead, climbing into the heart of the Grammoz Mountains and over the Barmash Pass (1159m) to Sotire farm lying in its own tranquil valley.
Overnight in Sotire.
Day 05: Sotire – Permet (32 miles/52km; elevation gain: 2018ft/615m)
Climb out from Germenje to a high grassy plateau surrounded by soaring peaks before reaching the source of the River Vjosa and descending through its spectacular gorge to Leskovik. Continue descending to Cashare and then follow the corniche route high above the river to Permet situated on a bluff above the river and famous for its cuisine and strong raki.
Overnight in Permet.
Day 06: Permet – Gjorokaster (45 miles/70km; elevation gain: 1352ft/412m)
Continue along the valley towards Kelcyra under the distant shark’s tooth peaks which guard a further gorge. Ride between them to the confluence of the Drinos following yet another stunning gorge which opens out into a wide plain with the town of Gjirokaster (city of 1000 steps) high above. In the afternoon, you will have a chance to explore its narrow cobbled alleys and Ottoman houses.
Overnight in Gjorokastër.
Day 07: Gjirokaster – Saranda (45 miles/70km; elevation gain: 1722ft/525 m)
The gateway to southern Albania, Saranda, lies along the Ionian coast sandwiched between the high mountains and the sea and close to the ancient remains of Butrint. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Butrint is one of the county’s most important archaeological sites, tracing its origins back to the Greeks and the Romans.
Overnight in Saranda.
Day 08: Saranda – Himare (32 miles/52km; elevation gain: 3491ft/1064m)
Today’s route is a roller coaster of a ride as you climb steeply out of Saranda to a rocky plateau. Then it’s over cols into bays and around headlands, always with the stunning mountain scenery to the right and sea to the left before you descend to the long beach and the bay of Himarë.
Overnight in Himare.
Day 09: Himare – Vlore (39 miles/63km; elevation gain: 5439ft/1658m)
Today’s ride is not only the most challenging but also the most spectacular in Albania. You will gradually climb from sea level up to 1,000m through forests, gorges and hairpin bends. After lunch in the beautiful national park of Llogara we will descend towards Vlore for an afternoon’s relaxation by the Ionian sea.
Overnight in Vlore.
Day 10: Transfer to Tirana Airport and departure
Depending on flight times, we may have the opportunity to visit the city of Vlorë before our transfer back to Tiranë and Mother Teresa Airport.
|Tirana||01||MAK Hotel Tirana|
|Korça||01||Life Gallery Hotel|
|Përmet||01||Villa Permet (Hotel)|
|Saranda||01||Santa Quaranta “Premium Resort”|
|Vlora||01||Hotel Vlora International|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 09 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– Bicycle rental with other bike accessories
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments as per mentioned in the program.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.