Spend 6 days exploring the most popular highlights on this 6-day Ethiopia tour. Start with time in Axum to visit St. Mary’s Church and the claimed home of the Ark of the Covenant. Continue to tour the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, including the more distant Genete Mariam. Finish up the cultural tour with time in Addis Ababa to visit national museums and their open air market. Learn the country’s dark history at Red Terror Martyrs Museum and see the famous hominid “Lucy” at the National Museum. See weavings and handicrafts at the Muya Abyssinia craft and experience the warm hospitality of the Ethiopian people. This introductory cultural tour of Ethiopia can easily be combined with a trek in the Simien Mountains or visits to the Bale Mountains or a tour of the tribes of Omo Valley.
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive to Bole airport where you are met and transferred to your hotel for the evening. Settle in and rest up after your long journey.
Day 02: Fly Axum | St. Mary’s Church
Transfer to the airport for the flight on to Axum, Ethiopia’s most ancient city and once capital of the great Aksumite Empire. Take a city tour here today visiting the city’s stelae park and St. Mary’s Church. This sanctuary chapel is the claimed home of the original Ark of the Covenant (though it cannot be viewed by visitors) and it contains the ancient coronation yard whereby emperors were crowned. The Axum Museum, the Queen of Sheba’s palace ruins, and King Kaleb’s tomb are all also found here. Explore the church and more of the city this afternoon before returning to your hotel this evening.
Day 03: Fly Lalibela | Rock-Hewn Churches
This morning you drive to the airport for a short flight on to Lalibela, the crown jewel of Ethiopia often referred to as ‘Africa’s Petra’. Here you find the most well-known and preserved churches in the country and the site for many religious ceremonies throughout the year. Visit the magnificent rock-hewn churches which were built by hand between 800 and 1200 AD and are still active worship places.
Day 04: Genete Mariam
Today take a full-day excursion to Genete Mariam, one of the most interesting churches in the Lalibela area near the source of the Tekaze River. The large monolith was carved into a rocky hilltop and is supported by pillars. This site was first excavated during the reign of Yakuno Amlak in the early 13th century and contains some of the earliest discovered wall paintings in Ethiopia. Located about 30 km southeast of Lalibela, the trip out to the site and back takes a total of about 4 hours today.
Day 05: Fly Addis Ababa
This morning transfer back to the Lalibela Airport for your flight on to Addis Ababa. Settle in to your hotel and set out with your guide to visit the Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum, designed as a testament to the victims of a recent dark period in Ethiopia’s history under the Derg Regime. The museum displays a number of graphic exhibits, including skeletal remains, photos, and models of how victims were tortured and is not recommended for young children. From here, continue on to the Muya Abyssinia craft and see how the weavings and other handicrafts are used to create home furnishings, decor, and accessories.
Day 06: Addis Ababa Day Tour
Spend today sightseeing with a guide around Addis Ababa. Start your tour with a drive up north to Mount Entoto. Next visit the Ethnographic museum which contains a large collection of Ethiopian handicrafts and historic artifacts. Visit also the National Museum of Ethiopia, which houses the famous fossil of ‘Lucy’. Visiting the Trinity Cathedral this evening. This is the largest and most revered of all modern churches. Finish up your tour with a drive through the largest open-air market in all of Africa. Rest up in your hotel room one last time before your transfer back to the airport for your flight home this evening.
|City||Night (s)||Hotels / Camp|
|Addis Ababa||01||Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa|
|Lalibela||02||Sora Lodge Lalibela|
|Addis Ababa||01||Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 05 Nights accommodation Hotel.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Internal Flights: Addis Ababa – Axum – Lalibela – Addis Ababa
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.