Starting in Le Chable and ending in Zermatt, the Haute Route – Switzerland trip is a guided walking trip that takes 7 days. You will travel through Lac de Louvie, Les Ruinettes, Les Hauderes and 5 other destinations in Switzerland.
Walk the high trail from Verbier to Zermatt along the trekkers version of this famous route. The Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt is steeped in mountaineering legend, a route first taken by British climbers at the end of the 19th Century. We join this historic route above Verbier in Switzerland, where we are immediately immersed in the incredible mountain scenery. Skirting glaciers we ascend passes gaining breathtaking views of the surrounding peaks, including the 4000m+ peaks of Dent Blanche, Zinalrothorn and Weisshorn.
Day 01: Join Le Chable to Les Ruinettes (2200m), trek to Louvie (7hrs)
You will meet your guide in the morning to start your walk. From Le Chable it is a dramatic cable car ride to Les Ruinettes where the walk begins. The trek today takes you across the Alp du Val de Bagnes where you can appreciate the wonderful mountain scenery. On a clear day you will have views of the Grand Combin and Mont Blanc. Tonight you will overnight in a mountain hut. Note: You will need to carry your overnight gear including sleeping bag, clothing for day 2 and toiletries as there is no luggage transfer possible today.
Day 02: Louvie to Praz Fleury (7hrs)
An early morning start as you will have a big day trekking across three alpine passes. You may encounter Ibex as they are often seen on the remote mountain passes. Follow a steep descent which leads to the Grand Desert a moraine-strewn area of dry glacier. You will cross the glacier to reach the Col de Praz Fleuri at 2965m/9727ft. Take a final steep climb to the refuge where you will overnight.
Day 03: Praz Fleury to Les Hauderes (7hrs)
Today you will walk up the banks of the Dixence River and then over the Riedmatten pass. You may get your first glimpse of the Matterhorn. Continue down to the village of Arolla and onto Les Hauderes where you will overnight in a Gite and be able to have a well deserved shower!
Day 04: Les Hauderes to Grimmentz (5hrs)
A shorter day as you walk through flower filled pastures to get to the Torrent pass (2919m). Walk the Moiry Valley and the Sorrebois pass (2800m). Enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding 4000m peaks of Valais: Dent Blanche (4356m), Zinalrothorn (4221m), Obergabelhorn (4063m) and Weisshorn (4504m).
Day 05: Grimmentz to Grüben (7hrs)
The route today takes you across the Anniviers Valley located on the left bank of the Rhone. You are now heading towards the Forclettaz pass (2871m) before descending to the village of Gruben. Our accommodation tonight is in a hotel in the village of Gruben in the Turtmantal, a very narrow valley habitated only in summer.
Day 06: Grüben to Zermatt, bus or train to Zermatt Valley (7hrs)
Today you will trek via the Augstbord Pass (2894m) enjoying panoramic views of the Oberland and Valais. You will travel through Jurgen and St Nicklaus before arriving into the Zermatt Valley. You will either catch a bus or a train to Zermatt where you will overnight in a hotel.
Day 07: Trek along the flanks of the Matterhorn, trip concludes Zermatt (4hrs)
Today you will follow the Hornli Ridge on the flanks of the Matterhorn. The ridge follows a beautiful and exposed line between the steep east and north faces of the peak. The Matterhorn is steeped in history of human dramas. The first attempt to reach the summit was made in 1857 with the first successful attempt made by Edward Whymer in 1865. After a few hours walking along the flanks of the Matterhorn you will return to Zermatt where your tour will end.
|Praz Fleuri||01||Mountain Refuges|
|Les Hauderes||01||Hôtel des Haudères|
|Zermatt||01||Hotel Bahnhof Zermatt|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 06 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– All permits as per program
– Local English-speaking guide
– Luggage transfer by minibus (except day 1 & 2) – 15kg limit. Extra costs apply to transfer excess luggage to Zermatt
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.