There is a place in the Caribbean where the tourists don’t go; a tropical, rugged place of waterfalls, secret caves, and mountains that scrape the sky. It’s a place of bold flavours, intoxicating music, mischievous gods, and colourful art; where the only thing stronger than the rum is the spirit of the people who live there. It’s a place where only true travellers go; a place for the brave and the curious. The name of that place? Haiti. This eight-day encounter draws back the veil on this extraordinary, vibrant, and indomitable nation. Experience the energy of Port-au-Prince, the colourful art of Jacmel, the iconic (and UNESCO-protected) Citadelle Laferrière, nurture the arts with at-risk children, and learn the folklore behind Haitian Vodou. Haiti has a future. Be a part of it.
Day 01: Port-au-Prince
Today is arrival day, so there are no planned activities until the evening welcome meeting. You are free to arrive at the Port-au-Prince airport at any time where you will be met and transferred to our hotel in the city, which is approx. 30 minutes from the airport.Included Activities:Arrival Day and Welcome MeetingTransport:Arrival Airport Transfer
Day 02: Port-au-Prince
Enjoy an included city tour focusing on the history, unique culture and vibrant local arts scene. See the devastating effects of the 2010 earthquake alongside colourful arts, crafts and traditional goods at the artist community of Atis Rezistans, where, out of the rubble, artists began to create new life, spawning an entire community. Visit the Iron Market (Marché en Fer) for artifacts related to the traditional Vodou (Voodoo) culture in Haiti.Meet a Vodou priest and find beautiful metal art treasures in the fascinating iron-working community of Noailles at Croix-des-Bouquets. Fill up on delicious Creole cuisine and unique cultural experiences along the way.With time, opt to get a bird’s eye view at the Belvedere on Boutilliers Hills, scanning the Bay of Port-au-Prince and city below.Included Activities:Port-au-Prince City Tour
Day 03: Port-au-Prince/Cap-Haitien
Fly to Cap-Haïtien, on the northern coast. Visit the famous Citadelle Laferrière and the sugarcane fields. Learn to make famous Haitian rum with a “guildive”. This traditional rum distillery (utilizing sugarcane juice) comes from an old French word derived from mispronouncing “kill devil”, a welcomed side effect of drinking the rum.Included Activities:Citadelle Laferrière Visit Rum Distillery VisitTransport:Plane (0.50 hour(s))
Day 04: Cap-Haitien
Explore the city on foot to learn more about the area. With free time in the afternoon, opt to visit the beach on this northern shore. Enjoy learning how to make traditional kasav (a flat bread), a food of the native Taino people. The experience includes visiting a traditional facility where manyok (yucca) is transformed into kasav, which is eaten with meals as a flatbread. This dish and its preparation comes directly from the native Taino people who first inhabited the islands before Columbus’ arrival.Included Activities:Cap-Haïtien Walking TourKasav Making Demonstration
Day 05: Cap-Haitien/Jacmel
Fly back to Port-au-Prince and continue to Jacmel. This town is known for its vibrant art scene, carnival celebrations, and sandy beaches. Take a city tour focused on the art community here. Pop into artists’ studios to view the local papier mâché creations and wander past colourful mosaics on every wall. Included Activities:Jacmel City TourTransport:Plane (1.00 hour(s))Private Vehicle (3.00 hour(s), 90km)
Day 06: Jacmel
Visit the most famous attraction in the area, Bassin-Bleu. This is a series of waterfalls and pools in the hills above Jacmel. The water is turquoise blue due to the minerals in the rocks. After a fun ride and a hike down hill, arrive at the pools and dive in! Jump off the rocks and cool off in the fresh pools.Included Activities:Bassin-Bleu VisitTransport:Drive just 30 mins each way to visit Bassin-Bleu.Private Vehicle (0.50 hour(s), 10km)
Day 07: Jacmel/Port-au-Prince
Visit a local grassroots project, the G Adventures-supported Art Creation Foundation for Children. The program teaches at-risk children different types of traditional art while providing meals and a “second home”. Enjoy a homemade meal here and learn about the great work this organization is doing. Travel back to Port-au-Prince for a final night with the group.Included Activities:Art Creation FoundationTransport:Private Vehicle (3.00-4.00 hours)
Day 08 Port-au-Prince
Depart at any time. Transfer to airport for flight back to home.
|Port-au-Prince||02||Royal Oasis Hotel|
|Cap-Haitien, Haiti||02||Hotel Habitation Des Lauriers|
|Jacmel||02||Zion Cassa Royale|
|Port-au-Prince||01||Royal Oasis Hotel|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 07 Nights accommodation hotel.
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.