Start and end in Budapest! With the Self-Guided tour Hungary Carpathians: Bükk National Park, you have a 8 days tour package taking you through Budapest, Hungary and 5 other destinations in Hungary.
Explore charming Budapest, the Pearl of the Danube, and the hidden gem of the Inner Western Carpathians, the Bükk Mountains. Mountainous and forested, Bükk National Park offers miles of well-maintained hiking trails, impressive limestone mountains and caves, historic castles, quiet villages and friendly people.
Day 01: Arrival in Budapest
Welcome to Budapest, the ‘Pearl of the Danube’ with its grand buildings and elegant bridges, a vibrant city, full of history and culture. Let yourself be tempted by the thermal baths, including the famous Gellért. The Fishermen’s stronghold on Buda’s hill will offer you a splendid sight of the Danube, the impressive Chain Bridge and the magnificent architecture of the Parliament. Enjoy the cosy cafes or try the famous local wines in the evening.
Day 02: Eger
Today you take the train to Eger (2 hours), where you will spend the night. Eger is one of the oldest Magyar settlements in Hungary and flourished as a Renaissance centre of culture. The downtown is overlooked by a fortified castle. You will also see the splendid central basilica and discover the baroque charm of the city streets. Once in Eger, you must taste the fiery Eger wines and visit the Turkish bath.
Day 03: Eger – Felsőtárkány
The walking starts today, by leaving Eger on a hiking path going eastward. It takes you into the Hungarian countryside and the Bükk National Park. Initially, you will walk amongst vineyards and meadows. The area is famous for having the best watermelons of Europe. You will cross several rivers and an increasingly wooded zone to reach Felsőtárkány, a lovely village full of vine-laden gardens and parks, which will be your stop for the night. Walking for the day: 4-5 hours, 14 km, 505 m elevation gain, 490 m elevation loss
Day 04: Felsőtárkány – Szilvásvárad
After a hearty Hungarian breakfast, you start your second walking day. This area is particularly rich in wild animals, with the largest population of wild boars in Europe living there. The luckiest will even be able to see moufflons. Leave Felsötárkány and walk along the river under the cover of beeches and oaks as you enter the woods. The highlight of today, in the valley of Szalajka creek, which has several lakes and cascades, is the ‘Veil cascade’. Szilvásvárad is best known for its tradition of breeding Lippizan horses which are of splendid white colour. Walking for the day: 6 hours, 18 km, 615 m elevation gain, 505 m elevation loss.
Day 05: Szilvásvárad – Jávorkút
To leave the village, you may choose to take the forest train which crosses the valley or follow the hiking trail. Your route will guide you through bicentennial forests of beeches, near soldiers’ tombs, which are sad memories of the past wars. The walk will offer you splendid panoramas, and you might see the eagles and falcons which populate the area. This is a favourite hiking area during all seasons, located at the intersection of many hiking trails. Walking for the day: 4-5 hours, 15 km, 585 m elevation gain, 225 m elevation loss.
Day 06: Jávorkút – Lillafüred
You will cross a picturesque karst area and reach Lillafüred, which is in the heart of a small wooded valley where two creeks meet before flowing into a lake. Enjoy the fairytale panorama of the old castle overlooking the lake. Here you can rent a small boat and relax on the lake. Lillafüred also has several beautiful cascades under the castle as well as three caves with impressive stalactites that you can explore in optional guided tours (not included, payable on site). Walking for the day: 3 hours, 11 km, 15 m elevation gain, 350 m elevation loss.
Day 07: Lillafüred – Miskolctapolca
On this last walking day, you will follow the peaks southwards, while passing close to Bükkszentkereszt where you turn eastward and descend progressively to Miskolctapolca, a charming village, centred around the thermal baths. Relax in the Cave Bath, a spa complex built in natural caves (unique in Europe). Walking for the day: 5-6 hours, 17 km, 435 m elevation gain, 600 m elevation loss.
Day 08: Departure or Onward Travel
Today a private transfer is organised to Miskolc station to take your train back to Budapest (2 hours). Reach the airport & catch flight back to home.
|Eger||01||Hotel Kodon Eger|
|Felsotarkany||01||Bambara Hotel Premium|
|Szilvasvarad||01||La Contessa Castle|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 07 nights accommodation as per program
– English speaking guide
– Meals: Breakfasts & Dinners
– Entrance fee as per program
– Train tickets (Budapest-Eger on Day 2, Miskolc-Budapest on Day 8)
– All sightseeing & excursion by private vehicle
– All transport and listed activities
– All present government taxes.
• International Flights.
• Personal Expenses.
• Camera / Video Camera Fees.
• Medical Aid.
• Travel Insurance.
• Accommodation in good hotels.
• Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
• Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost. – Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
• A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
• If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
• Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
• In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
• In Asia, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
• While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
• Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
• In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.