Machame route, also known as “the Whiskey Route”, offers a wide variety of views, landscapes and experiences. Machame is considered one of the better routes for acclimatization as it follows the mountaineering code of hike high and sleep low. The starting point of the route, Machame Gate, is only a 1 hour minute drive from Moshi town. Located on the southern slope of Mt. Kilimanjaro, Machame Gate will lead you to the top along the exciting footpath which starts at the tropical forest, then runs through all the climate zones and finishes with the Arctic desert in the summit area.
Camps along the trek are favorably located for smooth and gradual acclimatization transition process. On the 3rd day Machame Route converges with Lemosho and Umbwe at Barranco camp.
Day 01: Arrival Kilimanjaro – Moshi
Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport, your Kilimanjaro Trekking mate office-driver will be waiting for you with a warm welcoming smile, and transferred to your hotel-in Moshi .
You will meet our representative who will brief you on your upcoming trek and do an equipment check to make sure you have all the necessary mountain gear. The missing gear can be rented on this day.
Day 02: Moshi – Machame Gate – Machame Campsite.
Elevation: 1200m to 1800m to 3000m.
Distance: 11 km.
Hiking time: 4.5 -5 hours.
Habitat: Montane forest.
After breakfast our vehicle will transport you from the hotel drive to Machame gate. Here you will do the required registration procedures then you will start the trek through the rainforest to Machame camp where you will find the tents are already setup for you. Overnight at the campsite.
Day 03: Machame Hut Campsite to Shira Campsite
Elevation: 3000m to 3800m
Hiking time: 3.5 – 4.5 hours
After breakfast leave the glades of rainforest and continue ascending by crossing little valleys and steep rocky ridge covering with heather plants to the western side of the mountain where the camp is situated. At this camp you will able get the spectacular view of Mount Meru, Shira Plateau, Kibo Peak and sunset; then dinner and overnight
Day 04: Shira Campsite to Barranco Campsite
Elevation: 3800m to 3950m.
Hiking time: 6-7 hours
This is long and important acclimatization day so you will be having an early breakfast then continue trekking east to a junction leading to Lava tower rock 4600m for acclimatization. Afterwards you will continue down to Barranco camp. The camp location is in the bottom valley of Barranco wall where you will stop for dinner and overnight.
Day 05: Barranco campsite to Karanga campsite
Elevation: 3950m to 3900m
Distance: 6 km
Hiking time: 3-4 hours.
Today is short day walk. In the morning you will start climbing Barranco wall and reach 4200m for acclimatization and continue crossing ridges and valleys to Karanga campsite for hot lunch. After lunch you will have a bit of rest and get another acclimatization of trekking up the scree slopes towards the southern ice field. You will then return to the camp for supper and overnight.
Day 06: Karanga campsite to Barafu campsite
Elevation: 3900m to 4620m.
Distance: 4 km.
Hiking time: 3.5- 4.5 hours.
Habitat: Alpine Desert.
On this day, the trek up to the Barafu ridge campsite is tough because of altitude. The walk take few hours because of the short distance but is steep needing a slow pace to avoid fatigue. You will trek across an alpine desert. Chances are that a strong, cold wind will be blowing from Kibo peak and its ice. You will have an early dinner at 1700hrs then rest until midnight when we you will hiking to the summit.
Day 07: Barafu Hut Campsite / Uhuru Peak / Mweka Campsite
Barafu Hut Campsite / Uhuru Peak / Mweka Campsite Elevation: 4620m to 5895m to 3100m
Hiking time: 10 – 12 hours
Habitat: Desert and ice.
Wake at midnight to a light breakfast and then prepare for your summit ascent. The goal is to climb before dawn so that you can reach Uhuru Peak shortly before or after sunrise. The trails is a series of switchbacks up steep scree or possibly snow, and reach Stella Point on the crater rim at 5,861 m/18,800 ft between 4 and 5 AM. At this point you will be having the views of the fabled crater and its glaciers facing you. Then after 1 hour of hiking along the Kibo crater rim near the celebrated snows takes you to Kilimanjaro true summit, Uhuru Peak. Here you will spend some times for taking photo’s but it will depend on how you feel. After your summit activities done, you will descend back to the Barafu campsite, for lunch, rest, collect your equipment, and continue down through moorland and heath zone to Mweka campsite. Dinner and overnight at Mweka campsite.
Day 08: Mweka campsite to Mweka gate
Mweka campsite to Mweka gate.
Elevation: 3100m to 1700m
Descending time: 3-4 hours
Habitat: Montane forest.
Today is your last day on the mountain. After breakfast you will descend down to Mweka park gate walking across Montane forest. This descent will take 3-4 hours. Here at the gate you will sign out and get ready to board the vehicle ready for the transfer back to the hotel.
Day 09: Moshi – Kilimanjaro Airport
You will be transfer to the Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO) to connect your flight back home.
|City||Night (s)||Hotel / Camp|
|Moshi||01||Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel|
|Moshi||01||Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 08 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– All Park entry fees
– Camping fees
– Trekking equipment (dining tent, table and chairs )
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.