Join us on this incredible, seven-day adventure in Rwanda and enjoy once-in-a-lifetime wildlife encounters. We will pick you up from the airport upon arrival in Kigali and drive you to your hotel. Head for Nyungwe National Park, where you will get the chance to track chimpanzees, spot monkeys and baboons and walk across a canopy walkway.
Hike deep into the forests of Parc National des Volcans searching for endangered mountain gorillas next. Relax on the stunning, palm-fringed shore of Lake Kivu and explore Kigali and its colourful markets. Visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre and learn more about the history of the Rwandan genocide of 1994.
Day 01: Kigali arrival & sightseeing tour
Our representatives will meet you upon arrival in Kigali and transfer you to your hotel. Explore the vibrant capital of Rwanda this afternoon with your guide. Visit bustling local markets and the Caplaki Craft Village. See craftsmen selling handicrafts in wooden huts.
Day 02: Kigali – Nyungwe Forest
Enjoy driving through Rwandan countryside to Nyungwe Forest National Park, located in Rwanda’s mountainous southwest, near the border with Burundi. This scenic journey takes approximately five hours. You have the option to visit the King’s Palace Museum at Nyanza and the Ethnographic Museum of Rwanda (Rwanda National Museum) in Butare if you want to.
Day 03: Chimpanzee spotting in Nyungwe Forest National Park
Join a guided hike through the dense forest of Nyungwe Forest National Park in search of chimpanzees. This is a phenomenal wildlife experience that is on par with gorilla trekking, although it is lesser known.
While the hike is undoubtedly exciting, it can be challenging as the chimps are always on the move, jumping from canopy to canopy. During your time in Nyungwe Forest National Park, you’ll also have an opportunity to walk across the canopy walkway: a 200m bridge suspended between giant trees, 50m above the forest floor.
The walkway offers incredible views of the forest’s upper canopies and is an excellent way of spotting wildlife and birds.
Day 04: Nyungwe Forest – Lake Kivu
Leave Nyungwe and head for your next destination, the sandy shores of Lake Kivu. Upon arrival, you are free to enjoy the beauty of the lake, relax on the shore and take part in optional water-based activities such as stand-up paddle boarding, water-skiing, jetskiing and windsurfing.
You also have the option to join kayaking trips, take a boat to Napoleon Island to see a bat colony or join a bird-watching excursion to spot kingfishers, pelicans, cranes and other bird species that can be seen around the lake.
You might also want to visit the nearby coffee plantations, hike through banana groves, rainforest and woodlands, cycle though lush green hills or visit local communities to gain an insight into the rural life and Rwandan culture.
Day 05: Lake Kivu – Parc National des Volcans
After breakfast, you’ll be driven from Lake Kivu to Parc National des Volcans (Volcanoes National Park). On arrival at your accommodation, you’ll be briefed about tomorrow’s gorilla trek.
Day 06: Track gorillas in Parc National des Volcans
Drive to Kinigi, located in the foothills of Virungas in Parc National des Volcans, after breakfast. Your guide and tracker will lead you deep into the forest in search of your allocated gorilla family. This trip might last anywhere between 30 minutes to eight hours depending upon the exact location of the specific gorilla family you’re tracking.
Spend up to one hour quietly observing the gorilla family upon spotting them. The gorillas are likely to be just a few metres away from you and they will continue to go about with their daily lives, feeding and interacting with each other under the watchful gaze of the silverback.
Transfer back to your accommodation late in the afternoon. You are free for the reminder of the day.
Day 07: Parc National des Volcans – Kigali & departure
We will drive you to Kigali in the morning. Visit the Kigali Genocide Memorial, which commemorates the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi, and learn more about this painful episode in Rwandan history. You will then be transferred to the airport for your flight home.
|Kigali||01||Kigali Marriott Hotel|
|Nyungwe Forest||02||Nyungwe Nziza Ecolodge|
|Lake Kivu||01||Gorillas Lake Kivu Hotel|
|Parc National des Volcans||02||Amarembo Gorilla Village|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 06 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– National Park entrance Fees as per program
– Gorilla trekking & chimpanzee-tracking permits
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.