Spend 4 full days trekking through the Simien Mountains on this 7-day Ethiopia tour. Enjoy the breathtaking scenery, spot wildlife, and experience the mystery of the ‘rooftop of Africa’, one of its biggest mountain ranges. Trek from campsite to campsite as you make your way towards a summit up the Bwahit Peak where 360-degree views of the Simien Mountains await you. This Ethiopian trekking adventure takes place at high altitude and is not for the faint of heart.
Day 01: Arrive Addis Ababa
Arrive to the Bole International Airport where you are met and drive to your hotel for the evening.
Day 02: Fly Gondar | Simien Mountain Lodge
Transfer back to the airport this morning for your flight on to Gondar. From here you set out on a two-and-a-half-hour drive to Buhit Ras in Simien Mountains National Park. Along the way observe breathtaking glimpses of the Simien Mountains, one of the largest in Africa and a UNESCO World Heritage site with more than a dozen peaks higher than 12,000 ft. The gelada baboon, Ethiopian wolf, and walia ibex are all found here and the cliffs are known for birds of prey such as the lammergeyer. Settle in this evening to Simien Mountain Lodge, set on the edge of an escarpment at 10,700 ft above sea level. The lodge claims to have the highest bar in Africa!
Day 03: Trek to Sanqaber
Set out from your hotel this morning after breakfast for your trek following along the ridge of an escarpment. Incredible views await you on both sides of the ridge and the path is lined with unique flora and fauna. One of the most spectacular and diverse landscapes in Ethiopia, you hike past some steep rocky passes on rough roads and trails. You may even spot the elusive gelada baboon. After about five hours of hiking, arrive to Sanqaber for your first dinner and settle into your tented camp. Campsites here are public and there may be other travelers sharing the site with you.
Trek Distance: 4-5 hours of trekking at about 10,300 elevation
Day 04: Trek Sanqaber to Geech
Get an early morning start today after breakfast for your trek eastward along a narrow ridge before you descend into the Koba River Valley. Catch a sight of the Jinbar River and a spectacular waterfall which tumbles into a narrow canyon known as Geech Abyss. The canyon is rumored to be about 2600 ft deep but this has yet to be accurately documented due to its remote location and difficult to measure conditions. Cross the river here and ascend for about two more hours to reach Geech and your next campsite.
Trek Distance: About 11 miles (5-6 hours) on rocky track at about 11,500 elevation
Day 05: Trek Geech to Chenek
Depart Geech this morning and follow a high escarpment to reach a 12,800 ft Imet Gogo Peak, the trek’s most spectacular view. Pause here to admire the panorama and take in the scenery. Walia ibex and gelada baboons are often seen along this day’s route. Arrive to Chenek Camp for a much-earned rest.
Trek Distance: About 15 miles (7-8 hours) on rocky path with multiple ascents and descents at about 11,800 ft elevation
Day 06: Bwahit Peak Ascent
Hike today for the rewarding ascent to Bwahit summit, Ethiopia’s third tallest mountain. Depart camp early and continue east up a valley for a steady climb to the broad summit plateau. Here you can enjoy a 360-degree view of the Simien Range. Cross the Bwahit Pass and arrive to another viewpoint to the Mesheha River Valley and a glimpse of the 14,870 ft Ras Dashen. Admire the landscape and return to your camp at Chenek this afternoon. Return to Simien Mountain Lodge to freshen up this evening after your long trek.
Trek Distance: About 6 miles (3 hours ascent, 1.5 hours descent) on steep terrain. Highest elevation is 14,530 ft.
Day 07: Return Addis Ababa
This morning drive about 3 hours down to Gondar to the airport for your flight on to Addis Ababa.
|City||Night (s)||Hotels / Camp|
|Addis Ababa||01||Radisson Blu Hotel, Addis Ababa|
|Chenek Camp||02||Tented Camp|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 06 Nights accommodation Hotel/Tented Camp.
– Gear Rental: Camping Gear (except sleeping bags)
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Internal Flights: Addis Ababa – Gondar – Addis Ababa
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.