The trip Slovenia: Hike, Bike & Raft starts from Ljubljana and ends in Bohinj. It is a city sightseeing tour that takes 8 days taking you through Bled, Triglav National Park and Bohinj in Slovenia.
With its crystal-clear emerald lake, tumbling waterfalls and lush green forest flanked by the towering peaks of the Julian Alps, Bohinj is a beautiful active paradise and ideal base for your Slovenia adventure. Hike lush trails on Mt Vogel, go mountain biking alongside the Radovna River in Triglav National Park and hold on to your helmets on an exhilarating rafting trip on the Sava Dolinka River.
Day 01: Arrive Ljubljana
Welcome to Slovenia. Known as ‘Europe in Miniature’, tiny Slovenia has a huge heart and a wealth of diversity. Importantly for us there’s also plenty of action for adrenaline junkies, from cycling, hiking and skiing, to canyoning, caving and boating. Ease into things with a welcome meeting & transfer to hotel. The evening is spent at leisure exploring the streets of Ljubljana. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Ljubljana / Lake Bohinj
Head out on an orientation walk around cosmopolitan Ljubljana (pronounced ‘Lyoob-Li-Yana’), the capital of Slovenia. Ljubljana is a city full of style and sophistication, history, monuments, churches, museums and great restaurants. The Old Town consists of three main squares and Baroque houses, and you can visit the Ljubljana Castle, the Town Hall and Cathedral of St. Nicholas, the Triple Bridge, and the open market under the arcade. In the city centre’s Preseren Square you’ll feel like you’ve just walked right into a scene from a beautiful postcard. In the afternoon board a local bus to the quaint lakeside town of Bohinj (approx. 2 hours) which will be our base for the coming week. Lake Bohinj is the largest permanent glacial lake in the country, and the soaring Julian Alps capture a touch of Switzerland. The mountainous backdrop and stunning lake make Bohinj a wonderful place to visit and a delight of Slovenia.
Day 03: Hiking on Mt Vogel
Head out for the first day of activity. Take the cable car to the top of Mt Vogel, located within Triglav National Park. The upper station lies above 1500 metres/4920 feet from where you’ll enjoy a hike along lush trails, looking down to the valley where deep green meets endless blue. Depending on weather conditions, you will head south towards the peak of Sija. After a rest stop at Suha hut, continue through this incredible Alpine scenery along the Bukovska Valley towards the final destination: Ribcev Laz. This is a quaint little village dominated by a 17th-century church with a fresco of St. Christopher on the outside wall. The church, the mountains, a little bridge over Lake Bohinj – it all looks like a wonderful film set.
Day 04: Bled / Lake Bohinj
Today you’ll head to nearby Bled. With dense green mountains, a rocky cliff-top castle, and an emerald-coloured lake – complete with a church on an island smack bang in the middle of it – it’s hard to take a bad photo here. Join the group for an orientation walk through the picturesque town and around its lake (seriously, just try). This scenic 6-kilometre (3.7 mile) walk passes some impressive villas, mostly from the beginning of the 19th-century, including the former residence of Josip Tito. Grajska Plaza (Castle Beach) is found directly underneath the castle, and provides an excellent starting point for your own exploration in the afternoon. Maybe head to the 100-metre (330-foot) high cliff-top castle. Dating from the 11th-century, the views from Old Bled Castle are nothing short of spectacular – take in the lake with the island and the southern foothills of the Alps. Even better views are to be had from Little Osojnica Hill. Or take a Pletna boat ride (a wooden, awning-covered boat rowed by a special oarsman) to the island on Lake Bled – climb up the 99 steps to St Mary’s Church and ring the wishing bell. Return to our base in Bohinj at your own leisure.
Day 05: Rafting on Sava Dolinka River
Pack your swimming gear and towel for a rafting trip on the Sava Dolinka River. It’s a short drive from Bohinj to Piskovca (approx 40 minutes), where you enter the river. A professional river guide will lead the group on a 1.5-hour journey through rapids (graded 2 to 3), gates and pools. You’ll pass alpine scenery, cypress trees, and navigate giant moss-covered boulders all the way down river to Lancovo. There’s time for a swim in the fresh water, then it’s a short drive back to Bohinj from Lancovo. Later, maybe dine on sausages or fresh fish with a side of the local vino. Luckily for you, Slovenia only exports a small amount of their wine, keeping the best local.
Day 06: Lake Bohinj
Still want to be active? Perhaps enjoy an Emerald River Adventure within Triglav National Park, or try your hand at canyoning. Or simply return to Bled and wander around town at your own pace, and take a dip in the lake. Be sure to seek out the famous Bled cream cake, which isn’t hard; nearly every cafe and cake shop in town claims that theirs is the best. Invented in the kitchens of Hotel Park in 1953 by Istvan Lukacevic, chef of the hotel’s confectionery store, more than 10 million kremsnita have been baked at the hotel’s patisserie since its invention. Alternatively head to Vintgar Gorge. It’s an easy daytrip from Bohinj and features a spectacular walk across rapids, waterfalls and pools via an elevated boardwalk that clings to the craggy rock face. The gorge is less than a kilometre in length so doesn’t take long to hike, but the iridescent water has an almost ethereal quality and clearly, you’ll spend a while in this amazing spot taking photos.
Day 07: Biking in the Bohinj Valley
Head out for a morning of biking, on a cycling path that connects the Lower and the Upper Bohinj valley. This tranquil path leads past several natural and cultural sights, you’ll pass old buildings, ancient trees and traditional farms, to the village of Srednja Vas. Next up is the more challenging section that meanders across Senožeta hill to the village of Bohinjska Bistrica. It’s then an easy flat ride back to the lake along a bike path that follows the scenic Sava Bohinjka River. If you haven’t had enough yet there is the option to continue your ride to the waterfall at Slap Savica, a route with more elevation gain. Back in Bohinj, make the most of your last night together as a group and celebrate the end of this active adventure.
Day 08: Lake Bohinj / Ljubljana
After breakfast transfer to Ljubljana. On arrival transfer to hotel. Overnight at hotel.
Day 09: Depart Ljubljana
This trip comes to an end transfer to the airport for your onward flight.
|Lake Bohinj||06||Hotel Jezero|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 08 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Entrance Fees as per program
– Rafting on Sava Dolinka River
– Biking in the Bohinj Valley
– Local English-speaking guide.
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.