Starting in Praia and ending in São Vicente, the tour Undiscovered Trails Of Cape Verde is a guided trekking trip that takes 10 days. You will be touring through Praia, Ponta Do Sol, Alto Mira and 4 other destinations in Cape Verde Islands, Cape verde and Chile. Undiscovered Trails Of Cape Verde is a small group tour which will include accommodation in hotels, transport, meals and others. Please check the package includes section for more details.
The Cape Verde Islands never fail to delight the senses and this exciting itinerary will allow us to experience the dramatic variety of landscapes to be found here. Predominantly on foot, we will explore the very best of these islands, starting with Santiago to discover the history of the Cape Verde Islands. We continue with Sao Vincente and Santo Antao to enjoy the breath-taking scenery; from fertile valleys and mountain ranges to salt pans and long stretches of coastline as well as the peculiar rock formations and microclimates which are characteristic of this region.
Day 01: Start trip in Praia, Santiago
Arrival in Praia meet-assist and transferred to the accommodation in Praia. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Visit of Cidade Velha, Flight to Sao Vicente
This morning we will transfer to the start point of our short hike through the fertile valley where we will have the opportunity to visit Cidade Velha, UNESCO World Heritage Site, where everything started for the Cape Verdians. The first settlement from the Portuguese was established here and it was the centre of the slave trade. In the afternoon we will take our flight to Mindelo, Sao Vicente. After checking in we will have a welcome dinner with live music in Mindelo.
Day 03: Ferry to Santo Antao, hike to Caibros
In the morning we transfer to the harbour and enjoy the scenic ferry ride to Sao Vicente’s neighbour island, Santo Antao (Approx 45-60 minute ferry crossing). Upon arrival, we transfer to the plateau of the island Espongeiros with time to take photos of the dramatic scenery along the way as we descend to our hiking start point of Caibros. From the ferry, our luggage will be transferred to our accommodation leaving us free to start trekking from the centre of the island following a descent down a steep valley and crossing to the other side of the island. This walk begins on even terrain but continues with a steep descent on rocky terrain, for around 3 hours, but the trail is wide with small walls for security. As you descend, you pass from the vegetated highlands through barren hillsides to the fertile valley.
Day 04: Hike through the valley of the Ribeira Grande
After breakfast we will walk along the fertile valley of the Ribeira Grande and its lateral valleys, passing through Horta de Garça to Cha d’Igreja. The path climbs for an hour offering outstanding views of the valley, we arrive at the top of a pass and from here the valley can be seen on one side, and the Atlantic on the other. We then descend for an hour and stop for a drink at a family-run cafe. According to the season, the river becomes either a torrential river or a leisurely stream and alongside them with a bountiful amount of vegetation growing here. You will experience the local life at the riverside before arriving in Cha d’Igreja, a charming village situated on a picturesque canyon right in front of the Atlantic.
Day 05: Move along the coast to Ponta do Sol
After breakfast you will start your hike, this being one of the most popular hikes on Santo Antao. It is no surprise, as the views are absolutely stunning having the ocean on your left, and the mountains on the right as you walk through tiny villages including, among others the famous Fontainhas. Part of today’s walk is along a steep series of switch backs with the stations of the cross marked in stone reliefs, along the way. The colourful fairytale-like village of Fontainhas with intricate terracing is perched on very steep cliffs, and has a beautiful view of the surrounding area.
Day 06: The greenest valley of all… Paúl
After breakfast we transfer (approx. 1 hour) to the Paúl Valley, the greenest valley of Cape Verde. The Paúl Valley is surrounded by towering steep rocks and by a bay of coconut palms. Following ancient mule tracks, we will walk along the stunning tropic vegetation consisting of sugar cane, mango and dragon trees and visit a grogue distillery. Our walk will bring us to the village of Sinagoga, we will visit the original site of the synagogue built by a small Jewish settlement who arrived on the island in the mid 1800s. In the afternoon, we transfer back to Ponta do Sol and enjoy dinner at a cosy restaurant.
Day 07: Cha de Morte to Alto Mira
After a late breakfast, we will be transported to Cha de Morte (2 hour drive), from here we begin the hike up to Alto Mira. We will explore the lesser known northwest part of Santo Antao, remote and relatively untouched by tourists. This hike is very impressive because of the peculiar rock formations and the unique microclimate which is ubiquitous in Santo Antao. The trail is very steep as we ascend for the last hour of the walk.
Day 08: Ferry back to Mindelo, city tour and guitar workshop
After breakfast we head to the port to catch a ferry back to Mindelo on the island of Sao Vincente. Later we enjoy a city tour throughout the secret cultural capital of the country. If you have not experienced Mindelense music, you have not been to Mindelo at all! We will visit a local manufacturer, this is the best way to listen to these fine artists and after learning how guitars are made, we will enjoy an impromptu musical performance from the masters.
Day 09: Sao Vicente Island Tour
After several days of hiking, we will explore the island today by bus. Amongst others we will drive to the oasis of Calhau, walking a little on the Sahara sand dunes of Praia Grande and visit the villages of Baia das Gatas and Salamansa. Afterwards, we will drive up to the highest point of the island, the Monte Verde, where we will have an amazing view of the islands as well as the islands of Santo Antao, Sao Nicolau and Santa Luzia. The rest of the afternoon is free for exploring the city, relaxing on the city beach of Laginha, or sitting by the pool. In the evening we will enjoy a farewell dinner.
Day 10: Adeus Cabo Verde
After breakfast, transfer to the airport and check-in for the international departure from* *Sao Vicente.
|Praia, Cape Verde||01||Hotel Oasis Atlantico Praiamar|
|São Vicente||01||Porto Grande|
|Santo Antao||01||Pension Zeca|
|Chã d’Igreja||01||Pension Casa Mite|
|Ponta do Sol||02||Hotel Tiduca|
|Cha de Morte||01||Casa Amadeu|
|São Vicente||02||Porto Grande|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 09 Nights accommodation hotel
– 5 days walking (5-6 hours), and 1 shorter day walk
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance fees to monuments as per mentioned in the program.
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.