Start in Payerbach and end in Wiener Neustadt! With the Self-Guided tour Walking in the Vienna Alps, you have a 7 days tour package taking you through Payerbach, Austria and 4 other destinations in Austria. Walking in the Vienna Alps includes accommodation in a hotel as well as meals and more.
While quite popular among locals, located just 65 km from Vienna, the Vienna Alps are still a hidden gem for foreigners. You will follow a well developed network of hiking paths which cross these easily accessible mountains of magical beauty.
Day 01: Arrival Payerbach
Today you arrive in the resort town of Payerbach, easily reachable from Vienna.
Day 02: Train Payerbach – Semmering; walk along Semmering Heritage Trail
Take the Semmering train (the first standard-gauge mountain train in the world, operational since 1854, now a UNESCO world heritage site) from Payerbach to Semmering. Then walk along the train-heritage trail which follows the route of Ghega-train, with striking viaducts crossing deep valleys and gorges and an idyllic, peaceful countryside. You can shorten this tour by taking the train for the last part. Walking for the day: approx. 6 hours, 19 km (full walk) or 4 hours (11 km) for the shorter option
Day 03: Rax Plateau
Reach the Rax plateau (2,000 m) by cable car. There you can do different round walks from cabin to cabin. Several options are available for every taste. Enjoy stunning views of the surrounding mountains. Walking for the day: 4-6 hours, 10 to 15 km depending on the chosen option
Day 04: Bodenwiesen to Puchberg
The demanding ascent to Waldburg-Anger cabin is followed by a comfortable walk across the huge high alpine pasture Bodenwiese, where the local farmers graze their cattle. Then walk down into the valley on easy forest roads past little ponds. During the entire walk you will enjoy views of the mighty Schneeberg and behind you will stay the Rax mountain. Walking for the day: approx. 7 hours, 24 km (full walk); you can book an optional transfer on site to shorten the walk.
Day 05: To the top of Schneeberg
The Schneeberg rack-and-pinion train, now over 100 years old, climbs to a height of 1,800 m from where it is a two-hour walk to the summit. Enjoy the views from the summit and return back to the train station; do not miss the local pastry called “Buchtel” at the middle-station – a delicious speciality! Walking for the day: approx. 4 hours, 12 km
Day 06: The Foot of Hohe Wand
Take the train and then walk up to Hohe Wand, a rock-wall popular among climbers. Don’t worry, we chose a comfortable and safe route (no scrambling or technical skills needed). From the top you can see almost to Vienna. Return to Puchberg following the ridge, past farms and small hamlets. Walking for the day: approx. 4,5 to 5 hours, 13 km
Day 07: Departure
By train via Wiener Neustadt to Payerbach (or to Vienna).
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– Welcome with fresh flower garlands.
– 06 Nights accommodation
– Daily Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners.
– Local English-speaking guide
– All transfers, sightseeing, excursions as per the program by private vehicle.
– Entrance Fee
– Transport, Parking, Gasoline & Toll ways.
– All present government taxes.
– International Airfare.
– Tips, gratuities, Portage, laundry, telephone calls, table drinks, camera/ video camera charges, or any other expenses of a personal nature.
– Visa fees, personal insurance.
– Any item not specified under cost includes.
– Accommodation in good hotels.
– Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
– Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost.
– Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
– A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
– If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
– Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
– In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
– Sometimes, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
– While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
– Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
– In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.