Start and end in Rome! With the In-depth Cultural tour Best of Italy (Summer, 13 Days), you have a 13 days tour package taking you through Rome, Italy and 12 other destinations in Italy.
Discover the Best of Italy, from the ancient treasures of Rome to Renaissance Florence and everything in between. Imagine staying overnight in a renovated Franciscan monastery in Assisi and lapping up chic Capri, as well as a private guided visit to Pompeii to see a Roman city frozen in time.
Day 01: Arrival To Rome
Arrival at the airport in Rome. You will be greeted by our local representatives after exiting the customs and transferred to your hotel in Rome. The rest of your day is free for you to relax or start your exploration of the Eternal City.
Day 02: Discover Ancient Rome and the Vatican City
The Holy See takes centre stage today as we join a Local Specialist for an included sightseeing tour in the Vatican Museums. Dive Into Culture and admire the Bramante staircase, created for Pope Julius II in the early 16th century, and Michelangelo’s magnificent frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. See the marble masterpiece of the Pietà, housed in St. Peter’s Basilica before crossing the Tiber into Ancient Rome. Visit the famous Colosseum and see Circus Maximus, once the site of celebrated chariot races. This afternoon, enjoy free time to explore Rome. Indulge in an espresso in the Piazza Navona or clamber up the Spanish Steps.
Day 03: Explore the Ruins of Pompeii and Sorrento
We journey south to the well-preserved ruins of Pompeii. Here we join a Local Specialist who will share details of the devastation caused by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius as we wander through the ancient paved roads of a city that was frozen in time. Later, we arrive at our hotel in the clifftop town of Sorrento where we’ll dine tonight.
Day 04: A Day on the Isle of Capri
We cross the Bay of Naples today by ferry to the glamorous Isle of Capri to visit some of its landmark sights. Wander past the chic boutiques and pavement cafés in Capri town in the company of a Local Specialist before taking your time to soak up the sophistication of this lovely island. Later, we return to the mainland.
Day 05: Onwards to Assisi
See the Benedictine Abbey of Cassino, which featured as the site of the Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944, before heading north to the slopes of Mount Subasio. We arrive in the mystical town of Assisi, the birthplace of St. Francis, under whose protection this medieval city is said to remain. We join our Local Specialist for a visit of the Basilica of St. Francis before some free time to explore this fascinating hilltop town. Tonight, we’ll stay at one of Trafalgar’s Stays With Stories – a fully renovated old Franciscan monastery.
Day 06: Discover Verona and Venice
We journey through the glorious countryside of the Emilia Romagna region. This area is also renowned for its gastronomy and is credited with being the origin of tortellini, mortadella and parmesan cheese. Travel to Verona, the home of Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers, to admire the Roman arena and Juliet’s Balcony. Arrive later in Venice, the ‘Queen of the Adriatic’, where we’ll enjoy a Regional Dinner.
Day 07: St. Mark’s and More in Venice
Cruise your way through Venice by private launch to soak up the sights and sounds of what was once one of the world’s greatest ports. Dive Into Culture and watch talented craftsmen share their centuries-old glassmaking traditions. Continue past the Bridge of Sighs and the Doge’s Palace to St. Mark’s Square where we will view the impressive square and Basilica. Consider an Optional Experience to see the colourful fishermen’s houses on the Island of Burano or search for a cosy bacaro and indulge in some tasty Venetian treats.
Day 08: On to Milan and Scenic Lake Maggiore
Today we cross the lush green plains of Lombardy to sophisticated Milan, Italy’s capital of design and fashion. An orientation tour takes us past the intricate Gothic Duomo, La Scala Opera House and the famous Galleria. Later arrive at Lake Maggiore where we’ll enjoy dinner served tonight at our hotel.
Day 09: Stroll around Lake Como
The glistening blue waters of Lake Como welcome us today. We’ll enjoy some free time to explore the lakeside lifestyle and beautiful scenery which has enchanted visitors for centuries. Spend this morning exploring Como’s historical quarter, indulge in the area’s delicious gelato, take the funicular for spectacular views of the lake or consider a cruise on the lake. This evening we venture by private boat to a secluded island on Lake Maggiore where we’ll Connect With Locals over dinner at a Be My Guest experience. Join Signor Telli for colourful stories of pirates and princes and a delicious local fare in this family run restaurant.
Day 10: Admire Pisa and on to Florence
Tuscany lures us across the forested Apennine Mountains, past the marble quarries of Carrara to the famous city of Pisa and its Square of Miracles where we will enjoy an opportunity to view the Leaning Tower. Our next stop is Florence, the ‘Cradle of the Renaissance’.
Day 11: Experience Art and Architecture in Florence
Delve into the extravagant history of the Medici family, whose legacy of art and architecture are explored in the company of a Local Specialist. The elegant Duomo dominates the skyline as we visit Piazza della Signoria with its exquisite statues and palazzi. Enjoy spectacular panoramic views of Florence and almost 700-year-old Ponte Vecchio from Piazzale Michelangelo. Later, learn about the quality and workmanship of two of this city’s historic industries at demonstrations of Florentine leathercraft and 18-carat gold.
Day 12: Treasures of San Gimignano and Return to Rome
This morning we stop at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial. Continuing south, we visit the charming Tuscan hill-town of San Gimignano, where one finds extraordinary examples of medieval architecture and history. Venture to the centre of town to view its Piazza del Duomo, surrounded by medieval towers and the town’s 13th-century city walls. This evening in Rome we enjoy a Farewell Dinner spent in the company of newfound friends and our Travel Director.
Day 13: Depart Rome
Transfer to airport for flight back to home.
|Sorrento||01||Grand Hotel Royal|
|Capri||01||Hotel Villa San Felice|
|Assisi||01||Grand Hotel Assisi|
|Venice||02||Hilton Garden Inn|
|Lake Maggiore||01||Grand Hotel Des Iles Borromees|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 12 nights accommodation as per program
– English speaking guide
– Meals: Breakfasts & Dinners
– Entrance fee as per program
– All sightseeing & excursion by private vehicle
– All transport and listed activities
– All present government taxes.
• International Flights.
• Personal Expenses.
• Camera / Video Camera Fees.
• Medical Aid.
• Travel Insurance.
• Accommodation in good hotels.
• Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
• Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost. – Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
• A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
• If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
• Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
• In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
• In Asia, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
• While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
• Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
• In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.