This 8 day exploration of Burundi delves deep in to the culture, history and natural beauty of the country.
Visit Rusizi National Park, a wetland that is home to a vast array of birdlife as well as Hippo and Sitatungas. We visit Lake Tanganyika, the world’s longest fresh water lake and home to the cichlid species of fresh water fish many of which are unique to this lake.
Day 01: Arrive Bujumbura
Our Burundi tour begins when you arrive in Bujumbura and transfer to hotel accommodation. The rest of the day is free to relax after your flight. Overnight at hotel.
Day 02: Bujumbura
Today, explore a little-known and intriguing African capital. Learn about pre and post-colonial history, and some of the challenges Burindi has faced. Later, we tour the suburb of Kinama, gaining an insight on daily life. Overnight at hotel.
Day 03: Bujumbura – Rusizi National Park’s – Ijenda
Rusizi National Park’s wetlands form an ideal habitat for hippos, water adapted Sitatunga antelope, and wide variety of birds. Taking a boat trip on the Rusizi River and Lake Tanganyika, there’s time to visiting a nearby fishing village. Later, we head to the tea plantations of Ijenda to observe Burundian tea production. Overnight at hotel.
Day 04: Ijenda – Rumonge – Resha
Our first stop is ‘La Pierre de Livingstone et Stanley’, a stone monument claiming to mark the site where explorer Dr David Livingstone met journalist Henry Morton Stanley, 25th November 1871. At Rumonge there’s a first-hand opportunity to explore the increasingly contentious production of palm oil, before continuing to Resha for the night. Overnight at hotel.
Day 05: Resha – Lake Tanganyika – Nyakazu – Karera – Gitega
Explore Lake Tanganyika by boat and then continue to visit the southernmost source of the Nile in Rutovu near Rutana, only discovered in 1937. Continue to Visit the ‘Gorge of the Germans’ at Nyakazu before heading to the ‘Chutes de la Karera’, an impressive series of waterfalls said locally to have healing powers. Afterward, drive to the town of Gitega. Overnight at hotel.
Day 06: Gitega – Kirundo
The country’s largest city, since January 2019 Gitega is again Burundi’s official capital. We visit the National Museum, a rather down-at-heel institution that nonetheless houses the country’s largest historical and ethnographic collection – in one room… However, museums and political administration are not Gitega’s headline acts. That billing rests with the world famous Gitega Drummers whose performance on the royal field of Gishora is a sight not to be missed. Later, we transfer to Kirundo for the night. Overnight at hotel.
Day 07: Kirundo – Bujumbura
Today it’s an early start for a sunrise trip by dugout canoe on Le Lac aux Oiseaux in Lake Rwihinda National Reserve. Afternoon we drive back to Bujumbura for overnight at hotel.
Day 08: Depart Bujumbura
Final departure transfer to airport for flight back to home.
|Bujumbura||02||Safari Gate Hotel|
|Ijenda||01||Club du Lac Tanganyika|
|Resha||01||Tanganyika Blue Bay|
|Bujumbura||01||Safari Gate Hotel|
– Meeting and assistance by our representative.
– 07 nights accommodation as per program
– Meals: Breakfasts & Dinners
– Entrance fees for sites listed as part of the itinerary
– Drum fee
– All sightseeing & excursion by private vehicle
– All transport and listed activities
– All present government taxes.
• Domestic and International Flights.
• Personal Expenses.
• Camera / Video Camera Fees.
• Medical Aid.
• Travel Insurance.
• Accommodation in good hotels.
• Check-in / out time is 12 noon at most of the hotels.
• Extension to other places is also possible with a minimal extra cost. – Additional nights are available at each place with minimal supplement.
• A visa is required and must be obtained prior to your departure from your Country.
• If quoted hotel is not available, we will provide one of a similar category and standard.
• Small deviations in the tour program are sometimes necessary, depending on weather, road conditions, flight schedules and room availability.
• In case the government changes presently applicable taxes, increase in airlines prices, fuel surcharge our rates will need to be adjusted accordingly.
• In Asia, there is no relevance between the distance and time of travelling, as it depends upon the condition of the roads and congestion of the traffic.
• While every effort will be made to maintain the itinerary, in view of local strikes etc that are beyond our control all schedule and itineraries are subject to last moment changes.
• Clients must be fully insured, as the company cannot accept liability for loss or damage to client’s property, medical emergencies or any other loss suffered by them whilst on tour.
• In Case of issuing Domestic or International air tickets, SGV is not responsible for any refund if the flight is delayed or cancelled, as it is the responsibility of airline.